The 1851 Census shows that the village had a school at that date with many of the youngest inhabitants being listed as scholars. It can be assumed that this utilised the Sunday School rooms.
In 1872, the Sunday School expanded to offer full-time education and moved to its present premises in 1875. The school was controlled by the church. This led to a strong emphasis being placed on the religion of the teachers with an early advertisement for staff stating a clear preference for a dissenter. In fact, the staff had to be replaced in 1874 to meet the requirements of government aid.
Standards were far from high, especially for infants. Early inspection reports comment not only on the lack of suitable space but the absence of books for the youngest children. Funding for expansion proved difficult and the school was threatened with closure on more than one occasion but parental objections proved successful. The school eventually added extra teaching space in 1902.
There were other educational activities. The Sunday School attracted huge numbers, over 300 pupils in 1896. A mechanic's institute provided evening classes for adults in the 1860s and 70s (although information is scant) and there were regular lectures at the church on topics including child development.